Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The History of Royal Hawaiian Heirloom Jewelry

When I first moved to Hawaii, I was quite impressed with the amount and quality of jewelry that many of the older Hawaiian women wore. It was not uncommon to see four or five solid gold bracelets and three or more golden necklaces adorning their arms and necks. I was curious as to why these pretty women had to wear so many at the same time, and learned later that it was more of a tradition. So, here I will tell you about the beginnings of Royal Hawaiian Jewelry.

In 1887, during the Victorian Era, Queen Kapiolani and Princess Liliuokalani were invited to attend Queen Victoria's Jubilee in England. They were both presented with precious solid gold bracelets. Each had their own names engraved on them in Old English lettering which were filled with black enamel. They treasured these beautiful gifts, and upon their return to Hawaii, had similar bracelets made for other members of the Royal family for special occasions.

Thus, a tradition had begun. To celebrate special birthdays, graduations, weddings, anniversaries, and other milestones, gold bracelets, earrings, necklaces, and rings are the choice of many native Hawaiians and also those who have chosen to make Hawaii their home.

Many tourists like to buy one as a souvenir to remember their special visit to the islands of Hawaii. With gold worth what it is now, it is really an investment that you can wear. Honestly, I am a little afraid to wear that much gold, especially during this economy, might I get kidnapped or mugged, but I still see many ladies that do wear it.

Personally, I have two bracelets, one with white gold and one with yellow gold. My name is engraved on one with a pretty floral pattern on either side. I also have a ring that has black enamel on the borders. I do cherish these since they were gifts for memorable occasions.



 

No comments: