Hawaiian Party Costumes and Makeup Ideas
Don't worry men, we did not forget you! You can go as a Haka Warrior Hunk! Children also love to dress up in hula skirts and leis. And, don't forget your dog!
Whatever the reason is, here are some costume and makeup ideas you might want to consider. For sure it will put you in a festive mood. You will feel like you are already in Paradise.
For the Ladies
- Grass skirt (you can make your own - see below)
- Hawaiian print midriff top, bikini top or coconut bra
- Clear sandals, flip flops or bare feet
- Flower to pin behind your ear
- Lei or leis - can be worn as anklets, crowns or bracelets
- You can also take a headband and sew artificial flowers to it
- Wear a figure hugging halter top with a cinched waistline in a floral print or a bikini top
- Sarong or pareo as a skirt
- With this you will want to wear stilletos
- Flower behind ear and leis around neck
For the Men
- Loose fitting Aloha shirt
- Khaki shorts
- Sandals, flip flops or bare feet
- Straw hat or visor
- Bare chest (looks best with muscles)
- Hula skirt or floral-print sarong worn tight like a short skirt - sort of like a diaper
- Spear or sharp stick
- Greenery around arms, ankles and on head (could be an artificial green lei)
- Fake tribal tattoos on biceps or wherever
- May need to use some quick tanning solution
- Colored contacts (brown or dark) if you really want to get into it (surprise her!)
To really have fun, add some vibrant Hawaiian makeup. Shades of turquoise, azalea, amethyst, ocean frost, and Aztec gold are just a few that are available to use.
Don't forget plenty of eyeliner and mascara. Don't forget the eyebrows too. Have fun with it.
Gotta have bright lipstick - come on it is just for one night!
There are some great eye makeup videos on this hub, so be sure to watch them and be inspired. I was.
Ideas for Face Painting at Your Party
Be sure to use hypoallergenic paints for face painting.
Of course, a luau brings to mind delicious fruits of Hawaii, including pineapples, coconut, and bananas.
Also, tropical flowers are popular, including orchids, plumeria, hibiscus and bird of paradise. You could even paint a small palm tree on some lucky person.
Sea creatures are fun and easy - a crab, seahorse, dolphin, whales, turtle or seals. Geckos and parrots would also be hits. Sand dollars, shells and starfish would also make someone really happy.
Children especially love face painting or you could do it as part of your Halloween costume.